Blake

To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour. William Blake, from "Auguries of Innocence"

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Papa Drives a Tuk-Tuk

Dear Daughter,

It was good to talk to you yesterday and hear about your good Halloween experience. Here in Indian they don't celebrate Halloween much, but it has been Diwali for the past week and that is a very special holiday in India, filled with colors, lights, and fireworks and many costumes as well.

Today, Papa went to see where the Buddha began his teachings in a place called the Mirgadava, which means the Deer Park, because there used to be many deer here when the Buddha was alive.

On the way back, Hapiz, my Tuk-Tuk driver (the call the rickshaws that here, remember Tak-Tak in Madurai?), asked if I wanted to drive the Tuk-Tuk! Of course, you know Papa, and I said yes. So, on one of the back roads, he let me drive, though he kept his foot on the brake pedal, just in case. It was quite fun and many people were staring at me, but we just smiled back at them.

I Love You,

Papa

No comments:

Post a Comment